Monday, November 9, 2009

Slightly Cyclonic


Just about three days ago, all of Tamil Nadu was hit by a cyclone. What exactly does that mean for Kodaikanal? Well, along with the bout of rain that’s been lasting for two straight weeks, there has now also been torrential downpour for seventy-two continuous hours. Most of the power lines have been cut, which means not only the fact that there is no hot water, but more importantly that nothing, absolutely nothing, is choosing to be even slightly dry. The road up the mountain has been blocked off by a landslide, apparently caused by what I hear was a very large boulder that decided to plummet down the ghat.

So, how do Kodai residents deal with this winter cyclone exactly (as apparently this happens every year)? Well, the answer to that lies in two simple words: Christmas music. Thus, while I’m stranded on this very soggy mountaintop in early November, rest assured that all the way up here, I’m full of good cheer at the thought that St. Nicholas will soon be here.

So, in my damsel-like state of desperation (and for a few laughs?), I’ve included a link to a very inappropriate (but also, in a way, quite appropriate) Indianish Christmas song. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! So bummer about the rain and such but that song was hilarious I almost peed my pants

    ReplyDelete