Friday, October 2, 2009

Gandhi's Legacy

A few years ago when I was living in Delhi, on October 2nd, I visited the memorial of one of India’s most beloved heroes, Mahatma K. Gandhi, along with thousands of mourners. This national holiday known as Gandhi Jayanti typically celebrates the affectionately dubbed Gandhi-Ji as the Father of India, devout vegetarian Hindu, political activist, national hero, father, husband, and icon for world peace.

(Gandhi Park, New Delhi, 2007)
This year, I celebrated Gandhi Jayanti by attending a school-wide American BBQ. There was no beef included in the buffet, yet, even though I’m not Indian, I couldn’t help feeling a little bit guilty enjoying my corn on the cob while knowing that Gandhi-Ji starved more than once to save his nation. Perhaps legacies are simply a thing of the past.

2 comments:

  1. Ja dat was een erg impressive monument van Gandhi in Delhi, waar is deze foto genomen?
    xxx mam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoi Poppie,

    Heerlijk om weer even bij te lezen van al jouw fantastische reis ervaringen! Ik hoope dat jij een lekker lang weekeind hebt om wat bij te komen.
    Liefs

    Pap

    ReplyDelete