Sunday, September 27, 2009

Minds for Momos


I just came back from a weeklong fieldtrip with the grade 8 students to a Tibetan refugee settlement in Karnataka, India known as Bylakuppe. Because we lived in a monastery for a week straight, I was not able to blog regularly. Thus, I have pieced together a few snippets from this wonderful week of monks, Buddhism, momos, relaxation, and piece of mind. At first, I thought about apologizing for the length of this entry. Yet, knowing that monks spend twenty-two years memorizing over 1,000 pages of scripture puts certain things into perspective.

Novice Perceiver
Initially, I was a little nervous about heading to a refugee settlement. Naively, all I had ever presumed about these ‘camps’ was dry arid land with lots of people living in very difficult and primitive conditions. Once in Bylakuppe, I quickly altered these judgements. Pulling into the area, I suddenly felt I was no longer in India as all around me I saw a huge clean beautiful landscape with little clusters of developments and industry neatly erected underneath slews and slews of prayer flags. The Tibetans in this community have done an unbelievable job creating a living environment that both satisfies their needs and adheres to their beloved culture and tradition.


Chosen Path
On the way to Bylakuppe I was told to sit in the middle of the bus in the middle of the row so I could blend in with the children and escape the problems that could arise from me being a foreigner in citizen-only part of India. Fortunately for me however, the police seemed to be conveniently diverting their eyes this time. Even here in India there is no avoiding this whole ‘Free Tibet’ business.


Mind Games
During the rainy season, Tibetan monks meditate for three months straight. After this time of serious devotion and practice, they get precisely eight days off. Coincidentally, we are visiting during exactly those eight days. What does this mean exactly? Well, in short, there will not be any meditations, rituals, or debates to witness. Rather, this week is about watching monks play ping-pong, squirt water guns, watch the latest Korean flicks, listen to their ipods, and take part in a feature-length documentary film starring Miss Tibet. I plan to meditate on this paradoxical span of one short week just long enough to figure it all out.

Soul Survivors
One morning I went to the Tibetan Children’s Village in Bylakuppe. After watching 1600 students drill through their morning assembly, I had the opportunity to meet and chat with some of the young ladies from grade 8. Their stories all go something like this:
“When I was eleven years old my mother told me to leave Tibet. So I went with a group of other children, all strangers, on a month-long journey across the Himalayas on foot. Some of the kids died and many suffered from frostbite along the way. When we finally reached Dharamsala, India, someone split us into three groups: future monks, nuns, and students. Thus, I went by bus to Bylakuppe to study until I am twenty years old. Then, hopefully, I can go back to Tibet see my family and serve my country by being a teacher. I only get to talk to them here once a year, on Tibetan New Year’s. Maybe one day I’ll get to see them again."
These brave young teenagers are not bitter, angry, or scared. Rather, they accept their responsibilities as young global citizens and playfully ask if I will come visit them once Tibet is free. I would love to be able to oblige someday.


Materialisms
Visiting the Golden Temple includes the following rituals: spinning hundreds of prayer wheels, sitting in front of an enormous gold Buddha, and being summoned to prayer by fifty monks blowing into various instruments crafted from conch shells and animal bones. All this takes place amidst a rainbow of bright reds, blues, yellows, greens, and whites of the prayer flags and the maroons and oranges of monks, nuns, baby monks and nuns going on with their daily lives.



Life, Death, Life, Repeat
At one point I had the opportunity to have a debate with a real live monk. Thus, I sat down for a few hours with a Lama (teacher) named Sonam. Rather than getting into the deep complexities of the eight-fold path and four noble truths, I’ll briefly reflect on the complexities that boggle my mind on a regular basis. That is, the eccentricities in life.

Firstly, at the start of out meeting, upon entering the meeting hall we awkwardly interrupted a monk on roller skates practicing on the marble floors of the large space. This vacation for the monks, at many points, started feeling quite unusual for me. However, like the Lama spoke about later on, the best way to focus the mind on things that truly matter is by distracting it first.

Another memorable moment occurred when a fly landed on the Lama’s shoulder. One of the other listeners in our little group brushed it off of him, feaux pas number one. Then, when the fly landed on the floor next to him, she went to swat it dead with a pen. In an instant, the monk’s hand flew down to protect the fly from imminent death with more determination and compassion than I have seen in a long time. Naturally, the woman was quite embarrassed. The Lama just relaxed back into his cross-legged position and smiled.

Road to Enlightenment
Despite the overwhelming peace of this lovely community of Bylakuppe, the sense of impermanence is ever-present. With this, I do not mean to conjure up any Buddhist ideologies but rather note the face that these Tibetans are simply waiting until the day they can head back to their Tibet. Yet, with Tibetan Buddhism as the main player of Tibetan tradition, this sense of impermanence perhaps takes on a whole new meaning. For now, shoontenjaago (goodbye).


1 comment:

  1. wat heb jij veel meegemaakt!!

    Geweldige foto's vooral die laatste!

    En dat verhaal van die kinderen is wel heel indrukwekkend.

    xxx mam

    ReplyDelete